About Me

My photo
I delivered mail for 20 years and raised a large family. I am married and live on 2.5 acres. I am currently living with cancer but doing well.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

POEMS


Little Girl in My Heart
I remember you, little girl in my heart.
You are me and I am you and now we're far
apart.
Little house, Big Shade tree,
Picket fence, Just Mom and Dad and Me.
Mud pies drying in the sun, Picking flowers,
having fun.
Summer baseball in the street, Halloween and
Trick or Treat;
Pigtails and a freckled face, Dandelions in a
vase,
Paper dolls and snowball fights, Santa Claus
and Christmas lights.
Hopscotch and bubble soap, riding bikes and
jumping rope
I remember you, little girl in my heart.
I am you and you are me and now we're far
apart.

By Sherryle Meeks ©2007

My Regret
Through all the Years
As life passed and moved about
I had control of my existence
And seldom ventured out
I thought I knew what love was
And although we'd never met
My empty heart missed you
And my soul hid regret
But I never knew what love was
Until stricken by Its Power
When you touched my heart with your heart
And we shared our secret hours
You made me smile inside
You calmed my frightened soul
You shared your strength
You made me whole
Now I know what Love is
But our affection keeps it's secret
And the prize is Bittersweet
At last I know what love is
And there is no regret.

By Sherryle Meeks ©2006

Far Beyond
As I look at days gone by;
Remembrances of the past.
I wonder ...., does memory go on and on,
Past death and veil and far beyond?
As spirit leaves the flesh,
And body turns from dust to dust,
Does life go on remembering ? ....
Somehow I know it must.
Should I forget the morning sun,
the gentle rain?
Should I forget life's lessons learned :
Pleasures and pain?
More and more, I do believe,
That memory's the better part;
The sweet eternal treasure,
Of a human heart.
Only death can be forgotten,
And time we cannot keep;
But memory goes on and on,
Past death and veil, and far beyond.

By Sherryle Meeks ©1984

The Worth of a Housewife
Don’t judge me by my housework; don’t judge me by my
hair
Not by the way my face looks; nor by the clothes I wear.
My value runs much deeper; there’s treasure in my soul.
To be myself and like me is a more important goal.
There’s a ring around my bathtub, and dishes in the sink.
I haven’t made the bed yet and I know what you must think.
But there’s always time for hugging and always time for
love.
I’ve taught my children wisely, to lay treasures up above;
To see the world’s beauty; and gaze awhile at stars;
To enjoy the warmth of sunshine; and be thankful for
what’s ours.
There’s always time for music and always time for
laughter.
There’s always time for singing when joy is what we’re
after.
I haven’t got diplomas nor degrees in childcare.
I’ve only got what God gave; I only know He’s there.
So don’t judge me by my housework nor what you think
you see;
Not by my neighbor’s gossip. Take a deeper look at me,
For who knows how grand my heart is or how pure my
thoughts might be.
To be myself and like me, is what really counts to me.

By Sherryle Meeks ©1984

Dear Elder
Thank you son, for being the fine young man you are,
For being an example and never straying far.
You were a valiant spirit in Heaven, I am sure,
But even valiant spirits must be tested and endure.
So never let your guard down, Not even for a bit.
Beware of Satan’s pitfalls and keep your soul fit.
Our Heavenly Father sent you to be my light and
guide;
A comfort to my soul; My joy and my pride.
Many times you've needed me; many more I've
needed you.
You've been a strength and solace, although you never
knew.
Thank you son, for being the fine young man you are,
For being my example and never straying far.
Love, Mom

By Sherryle Meeks ©1992

"Before I go....."
We’ve got to go someday,
We’ve got to die sometime.
We can’t choose the time of day,
The season nor the clime.
I want to die with dignity,
And pass away with grace.
I want to know you’ll miss me,
And no one can take my place.
So bury me beneath a tree,
When I am laid to rest.
Everyday remember me,
And know I loved you best.
But if you should die ahead of me,
And pass on before I go....
Mark the trail behind you well,
So I’ll know the way to go.

By Sherryle Meeks ©1991

Family Tree
Families are forever,
Whatever that family may be.
I belong to you
And you belong to me....
Part of a Unique Pedigree;
My own Family Tree…
From the very beginning,
And long past my Birth
Families will continue
Beyond the Earth.

By Sherryle Meeks ©2008

Little House
My brother, John was a funny kid;
Buddha belly and a flat top lid.
Seldom crawled, He just kinda slid.
Brother, Greg came way too early.
Fussed a lot cause his tum was hurly,
Pretty boy, long eyelashes and his hair was
curly.
Maw was a kind and gentle soul,
Growing her flowers and vegetabols.
Paw was a city Po-liceman,
Strong and tall and dark and tan.
We all lived in a little house;
One dog, three cats and a field mouse.
One day Paw got a girlfriend.
Maw divorced him there and then.
Brother, John, He joined the Marines.
Brother, Greg dug Army latrines
So Maw got her a second spouse
And they went to live in the little house;
One dog, three cats and a field mouse.
But the field mouse, He turned real mean,
Tired of eating cheese that was green.
Now no one lives in the little house,
Not the dog nor the cats nor Maw and her
spouse…
Just that darn old, mean old field mouse!

By Sherryle Meeks ©2008

Things Undone
I have places to go and things to do,
Roads to travel and people to know,
Books to finish, Songs to write,
Friends to hug, Wrongs to right,
Things to learn and hands to hold,
Not much time for growing old.
So many things still undone
At sixty one, I've only just begun.

By Sherryle Meeks ©2008

Big Wall Clock
From my childhood I recall
Grandma’s big clock on the wall,
The kind that someone needs to wind:
Ticking, tocking through my mind.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.
The wind may blow and birds may sing;
The radio’s on and phones do ring
I hear ticking above everything.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.
Sitting here in her big ole chair
There is quiet everywhere
And through the window I can see
The setting sun in front of me.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.
Waking in the middle of night,
Long before the morning light,
I see the big round shinning moon
While Grandpa snores in the other room.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.
All day long, through out the day
That clock keeps ticking and tocking away.
Hardly noticed by other ears,
The time it keeps turned into years.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.
When I am stressed and full of care;
Strong and steady and always there
The thing that calms and soothes my soul is
That constant sound and rhythmic roll.
Tick Tock- I hear Grandma’s Big Wall Clock.

By Sherryle Meeks ©2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, These poems are so touching. I especially like the eloquence of Grandma's Wall Clock. Thanks for sharing, Linda, a rural carrier in New Jersey.

luckylinda1 said...

Sweetie, I love your poems. I especially enjoy the eloquence of Grandma's Wall Clock. Linda, rural carrier in New Jersey